Categories of hosting services
A hosting service implies storing and/or sharing specific web content on a hosting server hosted by a website hosting provider. There are different classes of hosting services used for different ends, so let's have a gaze at these. In this way, you can choose what you need, based on whether you wish to build a web portal, mail address accounts, or to share files with chums and colleagues.
- File hosting: a service made available by particular providers, which enables you to share enormous files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived files, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole function is to share files, since it does not offer website uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to explore a roll of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file storage accounts frequently include ads beside the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a certain period of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you own a paid file hosting package, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limitation in regard to the download speed or the file size.
At the moment, with the help of the cPanel hosting merchandisers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more stylish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely inappropriate explanation of the real meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would divide the workload between autonomous bunches of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving different web site hosting services (email, data storage, stats, DNS, databases, Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a sort of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; some vendors provide a hosting solution for images exclusively. This hosting variant is appropriate if you desire to share a huge number of pics with buddies or partners since the service is typically free of charge. You will obtain a random link for each and every picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be utilized for web pages.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to administering your mail accounts. Some vendors provide web site hosting services for web sites, but do not offer an email service. If you would like to get an email address with your domain name but do not want to have a website, then the e-mail hosting service is what you require. You can open e-mail box accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to some video file, or you can embed the video in your web page that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of utilizing this method instead of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video generates a specific amount of CPU load, so with several video files and a few hundred web site visitors, you may have difficulty with your webspace hosting quotas. Embedding the video clip will permit you to run as many videos as you desire without bothering about system reserves.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you need if you wish to keep a web site. To some degree, it encompasses all of the aforesaid hosting varieties since, along with your web sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can create databases and electronic mail accounts, upload video files, etc. At NTC Hosting, for example, you can take a peek at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting packages that enable you to have all of the aforesaid services in one single location. There may be limits based on the type of hosting service that you've picked - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web page hosting package may be better or worse compared to the routine e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are planned for specific web content solely.